Sunday, October 2, 2011

At the Outset

Writers and Friends,

The idea for Breakfast With the Author came to me one night after attending one of my favorite reading series in the city, Orange Alert. Following the readings, I sat for what must have been 2-3 hours with a few of my writer friends and we drank and talked shop about writing. The environment was so relaxed, the company so utterly great, that we soon forgot how long we'd been there. As we reluctantly pulled ourselves away from this impromptu little gathering, it occurred to me how uniquely friendly and welcoming the Chicago literature scene is, and what a shame it was that not every writer, no matter where they live or what the creative climate in their hometown is, has access to such fun, informal, candid, enriching dialogue with other authors. Breakfast With the Author is my attempt to bring this sit-down, this little insider moment, to the rest of the world, and I very much hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I'm posting this today exactly one year after the initial pilot podcast appeared. In that time, it has gone from just a basic vague idea to the sort of thing people know about me before we've even met, which continues to delight and astound me. I'd like to take a moment at the outset to thank my wife for being so supportive of this project and offer a kind thank you to all of the writers and editors who took the time to come and have breakfast with me. I make the show, but it's you that make it happen.

-Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment